Heart Bypass Complications

Health Information

Heart And Gastric Bypass Information (SCROLL DOWN FOR GASTRIC BYPASS)

Heart Bypass Complications

Despite the significant improvements made in the area of medical science, heart bypass complications that can arise following heart surgery remain to be a serious cause for worry by medical professionals, patients, and family members alike. These complications can vary in severity and seriousness depending on the extent of the surgery performed. As such, doctors are careful to inform patients of these potential complications prior to them committing to undergo the operation.

Some of the more serious of these heart bypass complications are listed below to help inform patients of the risks associated with a heart surgery:

Infection. The incisions used to cut into the chest cavity to perform the operation can have a serious risk of developing into infections if not cared for properly. According to the latest medical figures, as many as 4% of heart surgery patients develop these types of infections. Treatment requires a battery of antibiotic dosages to kill the invading bacteria. If left untreated, studies show that a number of affected cases can lead to fatalities, highlighting the seriousness and importance of caring for the surgery wounds during the patient’s recovery period.

Kidney failure. Loss of kidney functions is a commonly documented risk factor following heart surgery and is observed in about 8% of the cases. Moreover, there is a 20% chance that kidney failure in patients can be permanent requiring regular dialysis work over the lifetime of the patient. For the remaining 80%, the loss of kidney function is often temporary and symptoms regress within a few days eventually restoring full functionality to one’s bladder functions.

Heart attacks. Surgery disturbs many of the delicate blood vessels in and surrounding the heart. Any serious obstruction to the blood flow can lead to heart attacks which can be fatal in some cases. Among the many heart bypass complications, this is the most worrisome, particularly in the first few weeks where the risk level is double for patients. However, according to medical data, only a very small percentage of patients experience heart attacks during or following their operation.

Brain complications. Some of the heart bypass complications affecting the brain include partial temporary cognitive impairment and memory loss. These represent fairly common conditions that are not a serious cause for concern. However, another class of brain complications arising from heart surgery includes stroke and brain damage due to interruption of blood flow to the brain and this is what has doctors concerned especially in the first 2 weeks following an operation. It is particularly for this reason, more than anything else, that doctors advice extended hospital stays for the patient following the operation to ensure that brain functions are not affected by the procedure.

Heart surgeries all around the world save lives on a daily basis, but these do not come without risks. Heart bypass complications are serious issues that have to be managed and paid attention to, especially in the first few days following surgery. Likewise, doctors strongly advice patients and family members to be aware of these issues prior to consenting to surgery. In the end, it all boils down to managing the need for surgery versus the additional risks that arise following it. By being informed via constant discussion with the doctors, as well as choosing the doctors properly, patients and family members alike can be assured of getting the right medical attention while minimizing the risks in the process.